Kayaking close to Plitvice Lakes

Unspoiled forest and magical landscapes
Raftrek Adventure Travel / Outdoor Travel  / Kayaking close to Plitvice Lakes

Plitvice Lakes and the surrounding outdoor possibilities

Kayaking close to Plitvice Lakes is a must do summer thing! Plitvice Lakes National Park (colloquial Plitvice, pronounced [plîtʋitse]) is one of the oldest national parks in Southeast Europe and the largest national park in Croatia. Therefore, the park is added to the UNESCO World Heritage register in 1979. The national park was founded in 1949. It is situated in the mountainous area of central Croatia. Just on the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina.

The important north-south road connection, which passes through the national park area, connects the Croatian inland with the Adriatic coastal region. The protected area extends over 296.85 square kilometers (73,350 acres). About 90% of this area is part of Lika-Senj County. While the remaining 10% is part of Karlovac County. The Plitvice Lakes National Park covers a total area of 300 square kilometers, whilst the lakes join together over a distance of 8200 meters.

Mreznica-expedition-kayaking-Raftrek-adventure-travel (1 of 1)-2

Mreznica River summer time

More than 1.1 million visitors

The basic kinds of stone are limestone and dolomite. Therefore, the formation of the relief is the result of numerous occurrences in geological past. Which took place in a large area of Dinaric ranges during the formation of mountain ranges such as today’s Velebit, Velika and Mala Kapela and Lička Plješevica.

Thus created by movement and erection of large blocks of stone. During the Pleistocene era, water was penetrating into the rocky base and by incising formed gradually what is today’s relief. For centuries, water has changed the limestone and thus the landscape of this area. The emerging travertine barriers decelerated and retained the flowing water. So, these dams are continuously growing in height.

Mreznica-river-kayaking-rafting-Raftrek-travel (1 of 1)

Mreznica River kayaking

Kayaking close to Plitvice Lakes

Spectacular light effects

Kayaking close to Plitvice Lakes takes u to River Mreznica Canyon. It is a beautiful narrow and deep gorge. So, even the sun enters it only briefly, for a few hours each day, therefore creating spectacular light effects. Since the most beautiful part of the river is the upper part of the canyon you need a little extra effort.

We will pass cliffs of carved white rocks, lush vegetation, and cascading waterfalls. Which are great for swimming in summer. The second highest waterfall is a magical place. Therefore, Ideal for a swimming and picnic break during our Kayaking Mreznica trip.

Mreznica River Kayaking-rafting-Raftrek-travel (1 of 1)-5

Family Adventure Traveling – Mreznica River Kayaking

Kayaking Mreznica through a gorge with a paddle

You don’t need previous experience. Therefore, even children from 6 years of age, accompanied by parents, can participate. We use two-person sit-on-top kayaks which are easy and safe to navigate. You will get a life jacket, a helmet, and a paddle. In case of cold weather, we will provide long neoprene suit and a rain jacket.

Waterproof containers are available for personal items. So, don’t forget to bring shorts or a bathing suit, T-shirt, and water shoes. Also bring a towel, spare clothes, sun cream, picnic, and water. Please note, in case of colder weather, take a long-sleeved shirt.

Other Things & Activities in the region

Una Rafting | Raftrek Adventure Travel Croatia

Rafting Una River

Rafting Una River is a wonderful day adventure. The Una River is a natural border between Croatia and Bosnia.

Gacka River cycling | Raftrek Adventure Travel Blog

Cycling Plitvice Lakes

The area of the Plitvice Lakes National Park provides a perfect landscape for cycling, filled with endless green fields.

Plitvice Lakes National Park | Raftrek Adventure Travel Croatia

Walking Plitvice Lakes

Walking Plitvice Lakes is a day adventure filled with breathtakingly beautiful scenery. This day trip will lead you through the premier Croatian national park.

Visit Croatia | Zagreb town panorama | Raftrek Adventure travel

Zagreb City Adventure

This active holiday called Zagreb City Adventure is all about exploring the capital of Croatia. Famous for its cultural beauties. Often ignored as tourists make a detour for the coast.

For more activities and inspiration please follow this link.

After many years in football, he found his passion in tourism through outdoor sports and activities. He used to be a member of a rafting team, but now he likes to spend his free time kayaking, cycling, rock climbing and, in the winter, snowboarding. He is a happy and cheerful person; loves to travel, always with an optimistic spirit. His passion enriches many courses. As a student of tourism and hospitality management, he likes to learn from people and tourists around him.

No Comments

Leave a Reply: