PLITVICE LAKES NATIONAL PARK
Plitvice Lakes National Park (colloquial Plitvice, pronounced [plîtʋitse]) is one of the oldest national parks in Southeast Europe and the largest national park in Croatia. Therefore, the park is added to the UNESCO World Heritage register in 1979. The national park was founded in 1949. It is situated in the mountainous area of central Croatia. Just on the border with Bosnia and Herzegovina. The important north-south road connection, which passes through the national park area, connects the Croatian inland with the Adriatic coastal region. The protected area extends over 296.85 square kilometres (73,350 acres). About 90% of this area is part of Lika-Senj County. While the remaining 10% is part of Karlovac County. The Plitvice Lakes National Park covers a total area of 300 square kilometers, whilst the lakes join together over a distance of 8200 meters.
More than 1.1 million visitors
The basic kinds of stone are limestone and dolomite. Formation of the relief is the result of numerous occurrences in geological past. Which took place in a large area of Dinaric ranges during the formation of mountain ranges such as today’s Velebit, Velika and Mala Kapela and Lička Plješevica. Thus created by movement and erection of large blocks of stone. During the Pleistocene era water was penetrating into the rocky base and by incising formed gradually what is today’s relief. For centuries, water has changed the limestone and thus the landscape of this area. The emerging travertine barriers decelerated and retained the flowing water. These dams are continuously growing in height. The color of the lakes is emerald green or turquoise.
Things & Activities
Six stunning travertine pools, four waterfalls, crystal clear waters, magnificent canyon, beautiful intact nature, exhilarating cliff jumping, swimming and paddling… this may well become the trip of your lifetime.
The area of the Plitvice Lakes National Park provides a perfect landscape for cycling, filled with endless green fields. There are very few cars on these roads. Therefore it makes them peaceful and safe.
The highlights of this Plitvice Lakes Croatia activity holiday includes canoeing/kayaking, rafting, walking and cycling in the area around Plitvice Lakes National Park. While experiencing breath-taking views.
This national parks Croatia hiking holiday provides an unforgettable adventure. A combination of hiking through national parks, scenery and cultural immersion make it a unique experience.
This active holiday called Zagreb Active Adventure is all about exploring the capital of Croatia. Famous for its cultural beauties. Often ignored as tourists make a detour for the coast. Zagreb is an exciting city.
This Cycling Croatian National Parks tour will take you to Croatia’s inland mountain region. The five national parks you will visit are: Risnjak, North Velebit, Plitvice Lakes, Paklenica and Krka River.